President Muhammadu Buhari has slammed Nigeria’s elite for what he…
We would like to bring to the notice of the world what the citizens of Borno state, and particularly the candidates and supporters of the PDP are currently going through in Borno state.
Last night, all posters, banners and billboards of all PDP candidates and the flags of the PDP, were destroyed on the orders of Govenor Kashim Shettima, using an illegal security outfit which, he devised and named ‘Boyes’. Just because he didn’t want President Buhari, who is visiting the state today, not to see any of them.
In spite of its illegality however, ‘Boyes’ is surprisingly being supervised by the attorney general, who is supposed to be the chief law officer of Borno state.
One of our concerns is- because it has now become very clear to Govenor Shettima that he has lost the trust and confidence of our people, he plans to use this illegal security outfit to rig the 2019 elections. We therefore, herby call on the president to instruct the police and the military to protect the constitutional rights of our people in exercising their free choice during the 2019 elections.
Each time the governor’s actions were resisted by the citizens of Borno state, such citizens were beaten up by ‘Boyes’, and detained by the police at various police stations where many of them are still being held. The governor himself has often verbally threatened the lives of his major opponents. None of this will however deter us from standing by our people in such time of dear need.
While we all welcome Mr President to our dear state we also expect him to call the governor to order.
It is widely believed that the menace of Boko Haram has continued to persist in spite of the huge resources expended by the federal government through military operations.
It is also clear that, what is now feeding the insurgency is directly connected to the deeds and misdeeds of the Borno state government. Some of these deeds and misdeeds include:
- Throughout his 7 years as governor, no single person has been interviewed by the civil service commission and offered career employment.
- There has been economic strangulation of the state through his direct labour financing of all capital projects in the state
- Which is beneficial to only the governor and his cronies;
- It is disheartening that, the grains and other food items donated to the IDPs by well-meaning philanthropists are now being used by the governor as campaign tools. Which he is dishing out to politicians instead of the IDPs.
- While official Borno state government figures put the number of orphans in our state at over 52,000 and the number of widows at over 55,000.
- Over 90% of the children of the poor have been out of school throughout his 7-year tenure.
- And yet not a single mention has been made of these problems in his budgets throughout the 7 years he has been governor
- We don’t regard it as a mere coincidence, the fact that although both Mohammed Yusuf the founder of Boko Haram and Shekau its current leader were from Yobe state remains peaceful — you can travel from Damaturu to Gaidam, Gashuwa, or Nguru even in the night. While you wouldn’t dare to move out of Maiduguri even by 2kilometers – the governor’s deeds and misdeeds have made Boko Haram endemic only in Borno state.
The governor is obviously disturbed by the sudden shift of support in Borno state from the APC to the PDP. What the governor does not seem to realise is, it was because of the desperate hope of our people for the restoration of peace in Borno state, that they overwhelming voted for President Buhari in the last election.
But because it is now clear that the restoration of peace has continued to allude all federal efforts, due mainly to the deeds and misdeeds of governor Shettima, that our people have overwhemingly decided to give PDP the chance in the 2019 elections.
Thank you very much for listening