How Victoria Island, Glover Street, Milverton Road and Other Foreign-Named Areas in Lagos Derived Their Names

How Victoria Island, Glover Street, Milverton Road and Other Foreign-Named Areas in Lagos Derived Their Names

This is an Excerpt from The British Once Were Here, written By Eric Teniola.

Streets in Lagos especially in Ikoyi that were named by the British to remind us that they were once here: Cameron road was named after Sir Donald Charles Cameron (1872-1948). He was a British Colonial governor. In April 1925, Cameron became the second governor of the British mandate of Tanganyika, taking over from John Scott, who was acting governor for Sir Horace Byatt. From 1931 to 1935 he was governor and commander-in-chief of Nigeria.Glover road in Ebute Metta was named after Sir James Hawley Glover (1829-1885). He was a Captain in the British Royal Navy and later a colonial governor. On 21 April 1863 he was appointed administrator of the government of Lagos Colony.

Victoria Island in Lagos was named after Queen Victoria (1819-1901) who was the Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland from 20 June 1837 until her death. From 1 May 1876, she adopted the adopted the additional title of Empress of India. Milverton Road in Ikoyi was named after Baron Milverton. Baron Milverton, of Lagos and of Clifton in the City of Bristol, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1947 for the colonial administrator Sir Arthur Richards. He had previously served as Governor of Nigeria. As of 2010 the title is held by his eldest son, the second Baron, who succeeded in 1978.Moloney street in Lagos was named after Sir Cornelius Alfred Moloney KCMG (1848-13 August 1913) who was a British colonial administrator. He served as British administrator of the The Gambia from 1884 to 1886, Governor of Lagos Colony from 1886 to 1890, Governor of British Honduras from 1891 to 1897, Governor of the Federal Colony of the Windward Islands from 1897 to 1900, and Governor of Trinidad and Tobago from November 1900 to 1904.

Clifford Street now known as Murtala Mohammed Way in Yaba Lagos was named after Sir Hugh Charles Clifford(1866-1941) who was a Briitish Colonial administrator. In 1903, he left Malaysia to take the post of Colonial Scretary of Trinidad. Later he was appointed Governor of the Gold Coast, 1912-1919, Nigeria, 1919-1925, and Ceylon, 1925-1927. Eric Moore Street in Surulere, Lagos was named after Eric Olawolu Moore, a member of the colonial legislative council and the first Lagos member of the united committee of experts and adviser on Labour conventions and regulations. He was the father of Kofo Moore, the wife of Sir Adetokunbo Ademola, first Chief Justice of the Federation, who also established New Era Secondary School in Surulere, Lagos.

Denton street in Ikoyi was named after George Chadin Denton (1851-1928) who was the Colonial Secretary of Lagos in 1900.Freeman street in Ebute Metta was named after Sir Henry Stanhorp Freeman (1831-1865) who was the first Governor of Lagos (1862-1865). He took over from acting Governor William Mccorskty.Alexander Avenue in Ikoyi was named in honour of Cyril Wilson Alexander (1879-1947) who was Governor of the Southern provinces of Nigeria between 1929-1930.

Egerton street was named in honour of Sir Walter Egerton(1858-1947) who was the first Governor of the colony of Southern Nigeria between 1906-1912.Osborne in Ikoyi was named after Jack Osborne who died on August 15, 2012 at the age of 103. He served with Chindits behind enemy lines in Barma, commanding Nigeria Troops during world war two. Lugard Street in Ikoyi was named after Sir Frederick John Dealtry Lugard(1858-1945), former Governor General of Nigeria.

Sir Lugard also named Port-Harcourt in honour of Sir Lewis Vernon Harcourt (1863-1922) who was the British Secretary for the Colonies between 1910-1915. Lord Harcourt’s nickname was “Loulou”. Macgregor street in Ikoyi was named after Sir William Macgregor (1846-1919) who served as Governor of Lagos Colony Niger from 1899-1904 where he instituted a campaign against the prevalent malaria. Thompson street in Ikoyi was named after Sir Graeme Thomson(1875-1933). He was appointed as Secretary for Ceylon in 1919,then Governor of British Guiana in 1922 and and of Nigeria in 1925.

Adeniyi Jones street in Ikeja was named after Dr. Curtis Crispin Adeniyi-Jones (1876-1957), a Nigerian Doctor and Politician. His son Femi is at present a member of guild of Stewards at the Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina, Lagos. Macpherson street in Ikoyi,Lagos was named after John Stewart Macpherson (1898-1971). He was a British Colonial administrator who served as Governor General of Nigeria from 1948-1955. He was responsible for the introduction of the 1951 constitution, Macpherson constitution which provided for ”semi-responsible government”. His ADC during his tenure was General Johnson Thomas Umanakwe Aguiyi Ironsi(1924-1966) who later became the Head of State of Nigeria from January 1966 to July 1966.

Carter Bridge in Lagos was named after Sir Gilbert Thomas Carter (1848-1927). Carter was appointed Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Colony of Lagos on 3 February 1891.

 

Eric Teniola is a retired senior journalist. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *