That President Muhammadu is loved by his people in Daura…
By Abdulkabir Olatunji
The 2019 presidential election is getting ever closer with many Nigerians getting politically involved as party or candidate supporters. Some are not yet sure if they will vote and who they will vote for if they eventually decide to do so. Regardless of your disposition towards the forthcoming election, it is important to have an insight into the thinking of the major candidates as they tend to dominate the discussion and are likely to be elected in comparison to candidates over smaller parties.
In an attempt to deepen the political discourse, I have compiled these 10 questions for President Muhammadu Buhari (and his campaign team) to answer. We are in the age of social media and I know his team is likely to see it. Answering these questions would go a long way in giving Nigerian voters insights into his candidature and what he hopes to achieve in another 4-year term if reelected.
Without wasting time, let us get started:
Top Question for President Muhammadu Buhari
- What do you think about the in-fighting among your current or previous appointees? One example is the disagreement between the Minister of State for Petroleum, Dr Ibe Kachikwu and GMD of NNPC Dr Maikanti Baru.
- Your health has been a major issue during your first term, do you feel healthy enough to go through the rigours of campaigning for a 2nd term and then governing thereafter?
- There is ample evidence that you take a long time before taking important decisions, do you agree with this assertion? If yes, what is your motivation for this approach to governance?
- What has surprised you the most in your first term as president?
- How are you coping with the different demands of your party members whose interests might not be in congruence with each other and yours? An example is the clash between 2nd term governors and the senators they are seeking to replace in the Senate.
- Many Nigerians are complaining of hardship during your first term, what is your response to this?
- You are a retired general, what are your thoughts on the performance of the military and other security agencies in the fight against Boko Haram, criminality and the effort at quelling internal conflicts such as farmers-herders clashes in Nigeria?
- Your wife, Hajia Aisha Buhari has at certain times come out to criticize your close associates and some party members including your party chairman, Comrade Adams Oshiomole. How does this make you feel apart from your already expressed thoughts about “the other room”?
- On a scale of 1-10, how would you score yourself in your first term?
- How confident are you of winning the presidential election in 2019? Do you think your chances are better than they were in 2015?
You can also help encourage the president to answer these questions by sharing them on social media like Twitter and others, with the hashtag #TopQuestionsForBuhari. You can also ask your own questions using the hashtag.